So Life...

 So, life, can turn on a dime. 

What does the euphemism mean? 

The dime is the smallest, thinnest American coinage. That life can shift or change on such a small space, means drastic changes can arise in a small space, time or place. The slightest change can have big consequences.

So here I sit in a hospital room, on the day and time I should have been checking my bags at the airport. 

I am not the patient. 

It is my husband. He has eleven fractures and some gnarly road rash. Nine of the fractures are in his ribs; ten and eleven are the scapula and the bone creating the socket of the hip. 

Kind strangers found him unconscious and lying on the road of  his favorite bike ride trail. They called 9-11. 

Tony doesn't remember what happened, but it was the slightest condition that changed the immediate trajectory of his life. Was the dime road gravel? An unseen variation in the asphalt that threw him off his bike? 

We will probably never know, but here we are. Living a different life, because that life turned on a dime.

Comments