Immortality and Eternal Life

The second idea that resonated from Elder Wakolo was when he quoted from the book of Moses, in the Pearl of Great Price.

The exact scripture is found in Moses 1:39: 

"For behold, this is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man."

Let me back up and include the preceding verses to connect verse 39:

31 And behold, the glory of the Lord was upon Moses, so that Moses stood in the presence of God, and talked with him face to face. And the Lord God said unto Moses: For mine own purpose have I made these things. Here is wisdom and it remaineth in me.

32 And by the word of my power, have I created them, which is mine Only Begotten Son, who is full of grace and truth.

33 And worlds without number have I created; and I also created them for mine own purpose; and by the Son I created them, which is mine Only Begotten.


And then we skip to verse 39, written above and here: "For behold, this is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man."


I was fortunate enough to have a professor who thought of implementing verse 39 in a unique way.

 Dr. Jonstoneaux was teaching his very last class before retiring. He had taught school for many years and shared with us that his goal with every student was to "bring to pass the immortality and eternal life" of that student. 

This stuck with me and for the next fifteen years, this was my goal too: to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of each of my students. I know this made a difference in my relationships and efforts. 

I have been  retired from teaching for two years now, and when I read this statement again from brother Wakolo’s talk, I remembered how I had applied this to my students. This time I saw the scripture with new eyes. I needed to keep living by this precept but I now need to apply it to other relationships in my life.

What if I treated my husband with the same intention: To bring to pass the immoratlity and eternal life of my husband. And my children.  

 And really the application never ends and is never too good for anyone we ever come in contact with. 

As I pondered this idea, on the very morning I would share it with others, I received an antagonistic email. The email requires a response. But I now know I cannot respond without first considering how my response will help "bring to pass the immortality and eternal life" of this troubled soul. 

Comments