His Timing

In April, 2026, at General Conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Elder Taniela B. Wakolo, gave a talk entitled "Come unto Christ--Together."

 There were several ideas that resonated with me, but two in particular, one of which I will share with my personal impressions and experiences. In his talk, he spoke of his wife's patriarchal blessing that promised if she were true and faithful, her husband, not of the same faith, would join her. Eight years and twenty-four missionaries later, Elder Wakolo was baptized. He regretted that it had not been sooner, but powerfully testified that "God keeps his promises—but in His timing."

 This phrase took me back to a day many years ago when my young daughter, probably between the ages of eight and ten years old,  came to me very excited with an idea that had just occurred to her and made perfect sense to her.  

“Mom can you teach me how to drive?” 

I was flabbergasted because she genuinely thought it was possible. 

I laughed, then asked her, "Where would you even drive to?"

 “7-11,” she replied even more excited that she had somewhere to go. 

This child was certain that I would find her request reasonable. But to comply, wouldn't have been reasonable. Teaching her to drive, wouldn’t have been a blessing; it would have been detrimental. And six too short years later, I did indeed teach her to drive. The timing was right. 

So many times I have had righteous desires and I have asked for those desires to be fulfilled. More times than not, they were not. Sometimes they were fulfilled immediately, and some of these blessings I am still waiting for. If they are God’s promises, they will come, but in his timing.

 

Comments