The trade in value of my old, cracked screen, iPhone, was $6.00. It had very little value to the affinity phone service. But its other value was a surprise, when I found myself crying upon relinquishment.
I asked Tony "Why am I crying when I turn in my iPhone 11?"
He didn't think I was silly, he answered the question.
For several reasons:
1. It's been good to you.
2. You have a lot of memories
3. It contains all of your photos
4. You take it everywhere
And I add,
5. It's more of a companion than my own husband.
Hence the attachment even though it's an inanimate object.
But that attachment dissipated after the second hour at the phone store. Even more so, after we went to pick up the car being serviced and returned to the phone store. I didn't even like the new phone after photos and messages wouldn't transfer over after several hours. Giving up, the representative sent us home. "Bring the phone back in the morning after it's had all night to download completely. "
I felt like a woman in labor sent home until the baby was closer to being born.
When I checked this morning, my recent photos, are still absent from the new phone. I fantasized about not needing a phone.
I realized I would be completely cut off from the world--electronically at least.
This is how we used to live--and we got along fine. For thousands of years. Maybe not fine, but at least as well as we're doing today. Technology is supposed to improve our lives, and certainly it does in certain ways. But this morning, I feel encumbered. When I opened each app on my phone, I found that most of them required re-registration or restoration. The What'sapp requires that I rifle through 446 contacts in my phone to select the few that I engage with on WhatsApp. It allowed me to "do it later."
In a few minutes, I will meet with friends to take an early morning walk. This will clear my mind before I return to the phone store to give birth--to a new phone.
I'm done having children. This phone will have to last to the end of my life. When the new iPhone 99 comes out, I will still be using my 13...or is it 14? It's 17e forever.
Comments