Amongst friends at the lake, on that hot afternoon, before we went for milkshakes, someone found a book. The title was something akin to "152 Questions."
Someone handed the book to me. I started the game. First question would go to whomever we decided who we wanted to answer. I was careful to ask the questions that illicit an honest or fun response. After the first two "moral dilemma" questions, I wanted something lighter.
We had some light fun. But then it was time to cut the watermelon, or make sandwiches or something else.
Johnathan from across the room said, "Pat I have one for you." I thought I had escaped.
"What is your most treasured moment?"
I went silent. What was my most treasured moment? What did treasured moment even mean? The friends probably expected, the birth of a child, or marriage, or some earthly accolade. It wasn't the time to explain deep spiritual experiences or awakenings, so I went light. And a funny moment, a treasured moment came back to me. It wasn't what anyone expected. Not even myself.
But it was indeed a treasure moment. The most treasured moment? I'm not sure any one moment can capture the stage for "the most."
I prefaced my telling with all the above justifications and questions and then I simply shared that one day I was standing in front of my students. They were intently listening and watching me, and suddenly I couldn't believe that they were actually listening to me. I was an imposter. And so I started laughing. It was unexpected and unexplainable. I couldn't admit that I found their respect funny.
And of course, Jonathan and my listening friends, laughed too.
Comments