"It's Amazing; It's Amazing

 Like a drunk who promises to never drink again while throwing up in the street,  I vow  to never travel again after trying to sleep while sitting upright in an economy class seat that has shrunk smaller than a subway ticket. 

It's really ridiculous the conditions we pay for  in order to explore the world. 

But in the same regrettable breath, I acknowledge how easy modern-day travel is compared to days of old.  People used to die traveling across the ocean, over the plains and through territory occupied by indigenous people. It took months and even years to reach the other side of the world. 

I sat in a seat all night; I didn't have to row a boat, mush in a dog sled, or ride in a bumpy wagon. I traveled form Salt Lake City Utah to Tonga in less than 24 hours. 

That's a miracle, and forgive me if I'm calling it the miserable miracle.

On our flight from Fiji to Tonga was a rambunctious five or six year old. We sat at the gate with him as he drove his cars past our feet. His mother had followed to keep him out of our way, but I said, "He's fine." 

He boarded the plane after us and was vocally unhappy. But when the flight took off he hooted like a cowboy and shouted, "This is amazing! This is amazing!"as he stood on his seat peering at the tiny roads and houses beneath. For all the seasoned grumpy travelers, it reminded us how amazing travel really is. 

Comments