When Tony told his mom we were traveling to Tonga to swim with humpback whales, she looked at him and asked, "Who would be stupid enough to do that?"
When I shared our swimming with whales adventure with two friends at lunch, one of my friends had the same feelings. You can do that at Sea World.
Well perhaps, but I couldn't explain to someone who had no vision for swimming with whales.
IN the week before we boarded our first flight to LAX, it seemed like everyone was asking where we were going, and it wasn't like I was advertising. It was only in response to an invite, and a "Sorry I can't make it," or to a needed dental appointment when I had to say, "But sorry I can't take that appointment."
"Where are you going?"
So I told them. "We're going to Tonga."
That statement was usually followed by the person asking, "What are you doing in Tonga?"
And then I would have to answer, "We are swimming with humpback whales."
I was fine with sharing our exciting plans. But not so much after the dental hygienist responded, "I hate you." And then she reiterated her feelings with a second exclamation, "I hate you."
She hated me because she loved watching whale videos and wanted to swim with humpbacks too.
It's precisely why I"m going. Because I knew it was possible, saw other people doing it, and made it happen. There are few originators. We are influenced by the experiences of others.
And that is a good thing.
When the surgeon asked where I was going, I told him too. But when I told him "We're swimming with whales," I saw his eyes get glassy and he questioned his brutal schedule and I just knew he wanted to come too.
I wasn't going to tell another soul that we were swimming with whales. If they had to ask where we were going, I would just say, "Tonga."
On the day of our departure it happened again. A friend said, "I'll see you next week." It was important because the next day she would be having surgery and I wouldn't see her for weeks. So I said, "I won't be here next week. "
"Oh where are you going?" she asked.
"Tonga," I replied.
"For business or pleasure?"
"For pleasure."
And that was enough. She didn't tell me she hated me or her eyes didn't gloss over. She probably thought of the long and miserable flight, and thought Hooray for you, you're going to Tonga.
It's not the magic of travel, of getting away, or even a group of islands named Tonga.
It's the magic of swimming with humpback whales, that changes the perspective.
And remember, you can do that at Sea World.
Comments