The Anglican Chaplain Who Prays for Our President

 We'd just finished a delicious dinner of fondue. While walking down the stairs leading to the restaurant, we come upon an aged, hunched-over man on his last few stairs. Tony, encourages him.

The man lifts his head and smiles. He and his wife speak English and we learn that he is the chaplain from the Anglican Church. He is in Wengen fulfilling his calling as a roving chaplain. He invites us to his service on Sunday--in English in a German speaking village. 

We promise to come. 

Approximately ten minutes before church begins, the village church bells ring loud and beautifully. We pass by. Just up the road is a smaller church. Its bells are ringing but without the reach of the village church.

We are welcomed into the church. There is a family from the United States, a few people from the UK. We are invited to participate in the ICS church service. 

The chaplain begins with a few jokes--very good ones I might add. So good, I've added his first joke:

Holmes and Watson Go Camping

Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson went on a camping trip. After a good meal and a bottle of wine they lay down for the night, and went to sleep.
Some hours later, Holmes awoke and nudged his faithful friend. "Watson, look up at the sky and tell me what you see."
Watson replied, "I see millions and millions of stars."
"What does that tell you?"
Watson pondered for a minute. "Astronomically, it tells me that there  are millions of galaxies and potentially billions of planets. Astrologically, I observe that Saturn is in Leo. Horologically, I  deduce that the time is approximately a quarter past three. Theologically, I can see that God is all powerful and that we are small and insignificant. Meteorologically, I supect that we will have a beautiful day tomorrow. Why, what does it tell you?"
Holmes was silent for a minute, then spoke. "Watson, you imbecile. It means someone has stolen our tent."

Obviously, it wasn't original because I easily found it on the internet. 

The chaplain follows with an analysis of Nicodemus,  whom he describes as "No slouch."

Throughout the service, there are many prayers, communion, and beautiful hymns for which we stand and sing.

In one of his prayers, he prays for the Swiss president and the government of Switzerland. He prays for leaders of the UK. And then he prays for "Mr. Trump." He is sincere and I am moved by his inclusion for a man who is shaking up the world. 

Many of the people I associate with have a strong dislike for the American president. They are tortured by some of his actions and they're vocal about their discontent. They send me articles of his oft-heinous actions. I have often thought to ask them, "Do you pray for him?"

I suspect their distrust and loathing of the man, will not allow them to do so. 

On one occasion, I was bold enough to suggest prayer for the president to someone I know well. My suggestion was met with revolt.

Sometimes it is easier to hate. It serves our narrative. It matches the recipient's behavior. He doesn't deserve prayers. 

But we deserve more.



Comments