I'm Kind of Spooked

 I'm kind of spooked.

My flight was scheduled for Wednesday. But I had a worrisome tooth, so I changed my flight to the next day. 

Besides, I didn't want to pack. I loathe packing. I had put it off for another day.

The tooth was fine. Relief.

That night, after getting home late, I was just headed upstairs to finish packing. I received a text at 10:06 p.m. It was a notification that my flight had been canceled and that no suitable rebooking alternative could be found.

"See Tony, I didn't need to pack."

It was just a flight to California. Less than two hours--mid day. There was no apparent reason. No impending hurricane. No threat of war. 

When I did rebook the flight for the next day, the booking agent said the reason for the cancellation was "Not covered."

A google search rendered this explanation: When an airline cancels a flight and lists the reason as "not covered," it means the disruption is classified as an "extraordinary circumstance" (such as severe weather, natural disasters, or air traffic control directives).

What extraordinary circumstances was I unaware of?

Having my flight delayed twice--I turned to the mystical universe. Am I supposed to be home these two days? What is about to happen that I need to stay home? What misfortune did I divert from?

We play with the idea of fate. 

1. The will or principle or determining cause by which things in general are believed to come to be as they are or events to happen as they do : destiny.

But foolishly, I assumed it was personal, about my fate, when in fact I was just flying at the wrong time. The next morning I awoke to another text sent the night before announcing that my flight had AGAIN been canceled.

"See Tony, I didn't need to pack last night."

Again, no explanation from the airline.

But truth, or pseudo truth is hard to hide. A quick internet search revealed I was flying during the World Cup, summer travel, and weather disruptions.

So I threw the dice and got on the flight that leaves at 10:40 p.m. arriving at midnight. Not my preference, but I was afraid to put it off another day and never arrive. The flight interruptions are supposed to continue today (Friday), through Monday.

I have successfully put off completing my packing until this evening. 

Or maybe the universe is trying to teach me a lesson.

I have received an open day completely unscheduled, when I was supposed to be in California. 

I decide to pack mindfully--something I haven't done for years.  I match pants with shirts. Shorts with workout Ts. All of my swimwear goes in a homemade packing cube. I pause and make assessments. I choose the realistic amount of books I will read. Leave the rest at home, knowing I can go to the library. I combine all my worldly goods into one larger suitcase and discard the extra carry on. It feels good. And it took three days and two false starts. 

You've heard: When the student is ready, the teacher will come; how about when the suitcase is packed, the plane will arrive.


***Hopefully this is posted from what should be my current location on June 25--California. Unless noted otherwise, my flight made it.

*****Indeed, I made it, and the airline surprised me with a $200 credit for my flight troubles. 

Comments