This Is Who I Am

 My new passport photo looks pretty bad, like they're supposed too. But this time it actually looks like me.

The last international flight, the boarding agent said, "This not you. You look young in real life."

In Mary Catherine Bateson's book, Full Circles, Overlapping Lives, in a bit of writing about identity and culture, we read, “Now we need a new definition of self: I am not what I know but what I am willing to learn.” 

I am willing to learn. 

I have been scrutinized by two people--a book club member, and my own sister. They couldn't reconcile that I was seeking a master's degree in children's literature. 

I tried to explain. I hope they understood, but if not, that's okay too. 

The important thing is that I have discovered in Ms. Bateson's practical words, that I am willing to learn. This is who I am. 


Comments