We’re on the bus and Mandi needs to make a call to a psychologist she is mentoring. The previous day, the young woman reached out after having the “worst day ever.”
In the initial opening she tells her mentee that she’s hiking with her mom in Vietnam.
How surreal that sounds. How fortunate I am. How long will I be able to hike with my daughter and friends?
Two years ago I was kayaking with my granddaughter in the Colorado river when a friend called her.
“Where are you?” The friend asked.
“I’m kayaking with my grandma on the Colorado river. Her friend didn’t believe her. It sounded surreal to me too.
And there are two miracles to this story. The first is that my daughter can talk to a colleague in Illinois from a bus ride in Northern Vietnam.
The second miracle is the possibility of experience. First that I can do this and second that I can share these experiences with a daughter, a granddaughter.
Bring people into your story~~I read a long time ago in a book.
Memories shouldn’t always belong to just you. They multiply in meaning when shared. With friends. With daughters. With granddaughters.
Comments