On the first day of vacation, Margo asks me to play ping pong.
"Of course."
I love ping pong--AND I remember what it was like as the kid who always wanted to play or throw a softball, or hit some tennis balls. AND I remember the uncle who played Aggravation with the cousins and me. One uncle out of three, and zero out of four aunts. One family gathering only. One game of Aggravation and I was endeared to Uncle Ernie forever.
The power of the adult who considers the child.
Later that night, Mandi asks if I want to toss the softball on the beach with her and Margo. Of course I do! And there's no place I rather be when Mandi remembers throwing the softball with her grandma, my mom, one time! One time only.
So, before 8:00 a.m. the next morning, Margo comes upstairs with her iPad. I'm sure she just woke up, so I jokingly and over-enthusiastically ask "Do you want to play ping pong?"
Without hesitation, she puts down the iPad and says, "Yes."
I too just woke up, but do I dare say, "Oh, I was kidding?"
Of course not. I put on my shoes and follow Margo to the downstairs room with the ping pong table.

Comments