In the last drop of minutes, we hurry over to our son-in-law's home to finish off the last minute packing of his sold home.
One of the last acts is cleaning out the kitchen freezer. There is one large cooler, but alas, there isn't enough room to save everything. So, the son-in-law sorts through what is left, squeezing the frozen meat into the last space and tossing the half bag of frozen peas into the garbage.
One of the items that comes up, one that son-in-law opts to toss, is a very nice leftover container--a glass container with a locking, well-fitting, lid. It is full of some unrecognizable frozen food. My daughter, his wife, holds it up waiting for its verdict-toss or keep?
"Toss," he says.
"I love you. But this is the meal I made for you and sent home with you, which you obviously never ate, and you're ready to toss both the meal and the nice container. I'll take it home."
Son-in-law looks sheepish, but there is no need to apologize. He's been caught but there is no need for a remedy, because the situation was already diffused with "I love you."
Comments