It's June. Six months since Christmas trees, presents, and outdoor lights...unless your Christmas lights weren't installed until March. When our Christmas lights were finally installed, they were so beautiful and so fun to turn on on misty nights or when I was coming home at dusk, that our neighbor noticed how much fun Tony was having with his new toy---and had his Christmas lights installed in late April.
Sometimes, for no apparent reason, Frank, our neighbor, puts on his Christmas lights. One night in particular, I felt a little blue until I looked out the window and my soul was brightened by the unexpected.
It wasn't long after that when Tony turned on the Christmas lights, Frank would turn his on too.
If Christmas lights illuminated the house across the street, I would holler "Showtime." I think Tony complied once and lit the house for Frank and his wife. It was like a friendly neighborly wave, like dropping off muffins without having to bake.
It never escalated beyond turning on the lights. Frank didn't call the lights guy to add more, to one up the neighbor. Neither did Tony...but it reminded me of a children's picture book by David Shannon. The title was Amazing Christmas Extravaganza (1995). It was a delightful tale of not only keeping up with the Joneses but surpassing them in Christmas yard decor.
I'm glad the children's book isn't a reality in our neighborhood. We barely keep the dandelions out of the grass. It took us twenty-five years to put up roof-lined lights.
But, oh how we enjoy the blue on a foggy night. Wouldn't it be nice if the rest of the neighborhood joined us.

Comments