Under the Stars

 Tony announces, “It’s our last morning with internet. Tonight will be our last night with electricity.”

It feels like we’re going to the moon. 

I rush through my morning communication with the children back home. I rush through this last post I will make before I can type my daily thoughts on this adventure.

It sounds so final but it’s only five days. But five days without internet will be tougher than five days without electricity. 

This connection to family-far-away, to instant information— will be missed. But in its place is a far greater “missing.” And that is raw life. 

At this point in life, in my cushy middle aged existence, sleeping under the stars on a Peruvian mountaintop, is raw living. 

Today we start the Inca Trail to reach Maccu Piccu. 

Another adventure begins. Hiking vertical and ancient stones. Pushing my body to an elevation over 13,000 feet. Learning of a time long ago. Enjoying the sacrifice for surprise and gratitude. And always, no matter the circumstances, feeling gratitude for opportunity to learn— sometimes from the harder things in life. 

Comments