We don't buy things with money. We buy them with hours of our lives.
My almost eighteen-year-old granddaughter has a job and I think she makes pretty good money. She has a car payment (to her dad); she gets her nails done; when I gently inquire, she doesn't save money.
So I gently talk to her. I mention principles I learned from The Richest Man in Babylon; I speak about paying herself first, and I recently sent her the meme above that came from instagram.
For the meme is speaking her language.
The few times we have discussed the importance of saving, she responds positively, "Great idea, I'm going to do that."
I may never know if she actually does begin to save.
When we try to help others, we can't help but help ourselves.
I've been pondering the above meme, and have asked myself repeatedly, what would I buy with the hours of my life? If I am to give away hours of my life, I don't want to give them to inanimate object, to things that have no life. I want to give my hours to lighten burdens, to bring hope and love. To develop relationships. To create memories.
It's a question worth asking.
And answering.
Comments