Peace

 A nice quiet morning at home.

Sigh. 

Until Tony, on his way out the door, informs me that Ricardo will be coming to work on the deck. 

Access to the deck is only up the stairs, past my study, through our bedroom and through the screen door leading to the deck. 

Oh well. 

Then the doorbell rings. It's the two men who cut trees. They're here to start on the grove of trees that bi-annually need to be trimmed to preserve the view. The one man has his dog on a leash and he needs me to open the garage so he can get a ladder. Just as I go to help him, two more men pull up in a large imposing van to close the pool for the season. Minutes later, another knock on the door as I need to close the main water valve leading to the pool. Then I need to check the water temperature and write a check for they services.

ENOUGH. 

It gets me out the door and I will soon be on a quiet bike ride up the canyon.

As I run back to the garage, Chris, the pool man and friend for twenty-five years, says his final good-bye. He's sold his business and he's leaving on a one month cruise. "I'll see you somewhere again," I say. I can't bear the finality after seeing him every spring and every fall. He is sad too and tells me his favorite thing about me. "You have an aura of peace. I will miss that."

Yes, peace. I work hard to surround, to preserve, to give to myself and to others, that treasure of peace. 

Comments