Icelandic Post Thoughts

 Almost overnight there was a possibility of seeing Northern Lights. Almost overnight, someone stayed up to look. Almost overnight the sky was cloudy and void of the phenomenon. The promise is that if the night watchman sees Northern Lights, he/she will rush in and wake everyone up. It never happened, but one night, Mandi thought she caught a glimpse. Someday...

There are more sheep than people in Iceland.

I pass a woman on a trail to a magnificent waterfall. She wears a pink knit hat woven with DISNEYLAND. I think of the money and time spent at Disney theme parks and wonder if the time in make-believe land was well spent or not. Should I have brought my family to Iceland instead?

I walked where Justin Bieber once walked. Bieber in Iceland

Icelandic children are not coddled. When just babes, they are wrapped warm and left outside to nap in their lay-down strollers. Like setting your tomatoes or flowers out in early spring to harden, so are Icelandic children taken out to harden against the cold.

Years ago, as we headed off to kayak the Salmon River, a friend said, "Now you'll understand the power of water." Iceland was a repetition of that understanding.

"How much warning do you have if there's a volcanic eruption?" I ask Thora. She responds, "As little as twenty minutes." Thus Icelandic people are always prepared to move quickly. In 1973, an island off the south coast had a volcanic eruption. Evacuation was immediate and so swift that families were separated but reunited shortly after the emergency.





Comments