Seasons

 The ocean has seasons. 

As a young girl, I thought the beach, the waves, both flora and fauna, remained the same year round. 

Overtime, I noticed this wasn't so. 

One Thanksgiving, the bay was full of dolphins and seals. Sea life was migrating and the larger mammals followed for the feast. 

One morning we started on a beach walk and it was littered with hundreds of empty sand dollars. We postponed our walk that day and collected. Other times, the beach is covered with clams or rings of mucous-y sand held together in a fringed ring--a seasonal practice of egg laying by a water creature.

Never was it more clear than when I spotted what appeared to be the outline of a ship. It was during the winter months when the winter surge is stronger and carries sand from the beach. The sand lowers and stairs reappear and the depth of boulders protecting real estate, is revealed. The rest of the year, I forget about the old ship, but seeing it again ignited my curiosity for its story. 

The SS Monte Carlo was once an oil tanker. During the 1930s before Prohibition (18th amendment) was repealed by the 21st amendment, it served as a gambling, prostitution, drinking establishment, anchored off the coast of Los Angeles and later Coronado Island. In a New Year's Eve storm, it broke from its anchor and grounded into the shore. The concrete ship was promptly abandoned as no one would claim an illegal operation.


I saw the old ship in March, and knew come April, it would be gone.


The ocean has artificial seasons too. Pre-9-11, I could walk or ride a bike from Imperial Beach (which borders Mexico), to the tip of the island. After the attack the walkable stretch of beach was cut off from the North Island and the Silver Strand. 

I've never walked that distance before. However, I still feel melancholy when I reach both barriers, north and south. I remember how it used to be, and that mindset can bring melancholy when change brings loss. 

But, here is comfort in, To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planed; A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; a time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep and time to cast away; A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace. Ecclesiastes 3: 1-8



Comments