A Weekend Away

 This morning, I made the horrible mistake of perusing the news before writing. Like an unknotted balloon, I felt myself slowly deflate. 

My mother claims she doesn't watch nor read the news anymore. 

Too much of a downer. 

Yet, I find it important to stay current...but hereafter, I will not read the news in the morning. Maybe I am insulated enough by mid-day, and I should lower the dosage and speed read headlines and sub-titles even faster. Like lying in a tanning bed and setting a timer so as not to overexpose and burn, perhaps the answer is a five-minute alarm.

I intentionally bolster my news-immunity with positives. My daughter and I exchange positive meditations, memes, and podcasts. Yesterday I sent her a meditation titled Falling in Love With Your Own Life. She returned the favor with a podcast from The Life Coach Podcast. The week before it was a quote from Marc & Angel. Three weeks before, a meditation titled Habits.

I begin my classes with phrases such as "It's an honor to be here with you today." I smile at strangers and when I greet friends it is with open arms and a welcoming, "Hi!"

I had a father who became increasingly negative as he aged. His body became a trap. He went from a man with a love-smile to a man who rarely smiled. My mother put herself on the opposite track, and though he wanted her to suffer with him, she did so with love and positivity, and a weekend away once a month!

Perhaps that is the answer: a weekend away from the news once a month.



Comments