Full Circle

 My mother sent a HAPPY THANKSGIVING email-message to her children, grandchildren and her brothers and sister--my aunts and uncles. As I watched the reply to all messages come through, I understood what a great influence my aunts and uncles had been from both my mother's and father's side of the family.

I then left for Thanksgiving afternoon and dinner at my mother-in-law's home where I was now the old aunt to two nephews. I had seen their parents marry and their mothers give birth to each one. I'd known them as sweet babies, as  precocious little boys who'd once gone missing at a family camp-out. I witnessed their awkward passageway through teenage-hood. They eventually reached the age of thirty-two and I had been time disconnected from both. They lived in two different states and I saw them maybe twice in the past ten years. 

There were few distractions at our family gathering. I had the chance to observe, discuss, and inquire as to their lives. They shared successes and trials. We moved beyond the surface and I was proud of both of them for their accomplishments and one for his fatherhood.

It was a sweet day and evening.

Busy with baking and travel, I hadn't yet responded to my mother's Thanksgiving Day wishes. But I came home with a deeper appreciation for my aunts and uncles. In my concern and conversations with my nephews, I had remembered how important my aunts and uncles had been in my life. I was now the aunt and a part of life had come full circle.

I was ready to respond to my mother's email because I had something to say. My gratitude was deep and sincere--even the purpose of Thanksgiving Day had come full circle.

I wrote: 

I want to thank my aunts and uncles and especially Mom, for being such loving, supportive family members. I always knew I was loved and cared for. It's truly the blessing of being a part of a family tree with many branches and deep roots. 

Comments