The Coma-Inducer

 We looked for months for the right blanket. We went to bedding stores, to a furniture store; we visited TJ Maxx hoping for a miracle. After an unsuccessful search, we turned to online shopping which seemed risky, and it was. But it's where we found the coma-inducer brand blanket, a win, even though it took three returns to finally get it right. We started with taupe, which I thought would pick up the taupy colors in our room. Wrong. We returned it for a gray tone. Wrong. Took a chance on a blue color. Wrong. The dreamy-soft blanket was so luxurious,  we had to keep trying.

Our final risk was ordering the color Arctic Ice. It was gorgeously-perfect. And so soft, soft, soft. It was a heavy blanket, but it would be perfect for winter.

Each night when I went to bed, I folded the coma-inducer blanket to the bottom of the bed. It was too nice to use and too hard to replace. 

I'm not sure when I made the first faux pas, but I awoke having slept on the sham-covered pillow, and I had slept really well. So I slept on it again, then remembered I was trying to preserve the bedding. But for what?

It started getting cold; in the middle of the night, I sat up and stretched to the bottom of the bed for the coma-inducer blanket, careful to keep the sheets and another blanket in between. After a few days, I started waking with it tucked under my chin. 

In another middle-of-the-night awakening, I realized I was only using coma-inducer and was about to switch it out when the little voice of comfort whispered, This is like never using the fine china. One day, you wake up and you're too old to use it. What are you saving the blanket for anyway?

Saving it for me. Blanket for the woman, not woman for the blanket.


Even the mouse found the soft bed.

Comments