The stakes were high.
American Government 12th grade, 1978.
The day's activity: a quiz competition created by student teams. I sat on the periphery of my team, mostly clueless except for one beautiful moment.
It was our turn to answer a question.
"What are the first names of the musicians in the music group Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young?" asked the cool student with the long feathered hair.
I stayed calm.
I raised my hand. "David Crosby, Stephen Stills, Graham Nash, and Neil Young. The cool boy with long feathered hair, stared at me in shock.
"That's right." he reluctantly conceded, his confidence stolen.
The memory is indelible.
Strangely indelible.
There's just something beautiful about having the right answer.
~
A professor of mine Dr. Moser, unabashedly shared about knowing.
A student asks a question.
"That's a great question," Dr. Moser responds. "Do you know why it's a great question? Because I know the answer."
I found myself responding in like to a student who asked a question, and by strange circumstances, I knew the answer.
Perhaps the joy is so lusty because for every question asked, there's ten trillion questions we can't answer. It's like winning bingo or winning the lottery, or even the free pumpkin chocolate chips because you have enough points on your Harmon's Foodie Club Card.
Just imagine how google feels.
Comments