Two Emergencies

 I awake before 7:00 a.m. from the morning chime of my phone, plugged in, in the room next to my bedroom. 

I ignore it and go back to sleep. 

But one chime turns into two and soon the chimes are incessant. I face the fact that there are two emergencies happening while I try to sleep. Two emergencies because the chimes belonging to different children have different sounds. 

Indeed there are two emergencies. The first emergency is a daughter who can't order her chosen items from Nordstrom anniversary sale and they are selling out fast. The early-purchase sale is linked to my card, my account. "Can I please use your card? Please take a photo and send it to me."

This, thank goodness is an easy fix. I am happy to comply. Emergency #1 is resolved.

Emergency #2 not so easily. 

This daughter's car is packed and ready to drive the twelve hours to the beach. After awakening the children and beginning to car-load them, she discovers a flat. 

Sigh. 

We all offer her our advice; offers to help from those of us who are close, but she just needs her soul to be buoyed. Her sister on the east coast, her brother in the midwest are up and sending photos and information.

The car goes into the tire shop and the missing cap and damaged sensor can be blamed on the oil change and car check from the day before.

Sigh.

The twelve hour trip that was supposed to begin at 6:00 a.m. will roll down the freeway by 10:00 a.m. A dismal start. Unless we focus on the blessings. 

"Better this happened now than on 1-15 in the middle of the desert," her brother-in-law suggests and to which I whole heartedly agree. As I write, the blessing of this pounds the soft part of my heart. Thank-you Heavenly Father for watching over my children.

I am constantly praying that he will. There are more times that he does, that I don't notice, or acknowledge. It is why it is so important to him that we acknowledge his hand in all things. For when we do, we can abide by the forces that come our way. For we know we are not alone. 

My day changes quickly from sadness to gratitude. Deep in the heart gratitude.

However, I am at a loss as to how to think about the other emergency.



Comments