I walk into the grocery expecting just to buy an orange, but I find dragon fruit! When I’ve found it in my local market, it’s always bland—as it’s hard to get fresh dragon fruit in a rocky mountain state. But on the coast…I take a chance and buy one yellow dragon fruit.
The cashier asks, “Is it a secret ingredient?”
“No, I just love dragon fruit and can’t get a good one at home.” I start peeling it on my way out and the first bite saturates with sweetness.
The phrase Can’t get a good one at home, sets up a new frame of mind for life: We need to wander, explore, reach out--because contrary to current habits and situation, we can't get all the good ones at home. We must push our toes into red squishy mud if our land is sand. We need sidewalks to give way to coral reefs and jungle paths. Nothing better than interpreting a different language and loving people who catch land crabs in their outdoor kitchen, who grow taro root and pull bananas off their own trees, who keep guinea pigs for prestige and protein.
The good things the world hides in its distant corners!
Are to be found!
Comments