Refuge

 My teaching partner and I have divided up the day according to some unexpected demands. Contrary to our day-before plan, she needs me to start class because her sister-in-law bailed on taking her mother-in-law to dementia day care. I have an 11:15 appointment and I need to be early, so my teaching partner will relieve me at 10:45. After my appointment I will go home. But my partner has another emergency and asks me to relieve her at 12:30. 

I finish around 11:45. I could just go to school and wait or...

I could go home.  

I'll only be able to stay for a half hour, but I am pulled like a wet and shivering dog to my home's hearth, to its comfort. 

My home is my refuge. 

The new softy, softy, softy carpet. The uncluttered state from weeks of deep cleaning and expunging the extra. The replaced windows that bring in more light and space. The blessing of quiet. A respite of security if only for 30 minutes.

Tony will be there too.

Comments