Windows

 


Replacing the windows in our home required us to move furniture away from the window and to remove blinds. 

Windows without blinds give uninterrupted views. Extra light is welcomed in like an old friend. Most of our windows are private, so it isn't requisite that we shut the blinds. With new energy efficient windows we don't feel the cold seeping in or the western sun heating our rooms. 

"Can we just leave the blinds down?" I ask Tony. 

I only want one answer, and it's not what I get. He reasons that if the blinds are in place, we don't need to close them, but they're there if needed. 

I can't think of a reason ever to close the blinds on all the light.

But we do close our personal blinds or our hearts to light. Because of how lovely our windows are, I want to maximize the light let into my life, but I want it to be Godly light. Godly light brings compassion, intelligence, clear-thinking, love unfeigned and unfettered. Godly light is personal revelation and guidance in life steps that are often hard to walk alone.

Apostle of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints Jeffery Holland, admonishes us to not be cheap with our prayers, to even set aside time for prayer. In the same way we would schedule a phone call for an important interview, we should schedule time with God.

I can do this.

Another way to bring light is through repentance. Repentance brings change. Just as the new windows brought a change of increased light and efficiency, so can repentance. Holding off on needed change, keeps us in darkness, in misery. Yet, all repentance is not heavy; it may be something simple. Lifting blinds even a quarter of the way brings more light.

We can bring forth more light by not letting others shut it out. The people-blinds. This past year, I've been oft-consumed by others' darkness. Take down the people-blinds!

If I remove one thing, it often makes room for another-just make sure the replacement is more efficient, more light giving, more protective from extremes.

For we are, windows.


Comments