The Together Aparts

 This week, the pandemic became real and personal. 

Tony and I live together, but momentarily, we live in different parts of the house. We shout from down the hall, we text one another; I make him food but leave it for him. 


We share uncertainty, we share worry for a new grandson,  we share a once-a-day  inquiry, How are you feeling?But all the regular togethers are now the aparts.


So when an amazing sunset blessed the earth, I shouted, Look at the sunset.We looked out our own windows but we shared the same beauty. It was a together moment even though we were apart.


Sometimes when I see things alone, I feel my father sees them with me. A restored Model T Ford, brings a smile and I somehow know he's smiling with me. When I make spaetzle, I feel my grandma leaning over my shoulder. When Tony's family gathers, I sometimes pause to feel the presence of his deceased father.


I can't explain the together-aparts. I just know they're real—like Tony in the other room.






In better and healthier times


Seven Days of Gratitude-day 3: I am so grateful for health. Consistent health. I'm even thankful for the occasional blip or cold or stumble, for it reminds me of how important health is and how grateful I feel for its presence.

Comments