I'm slicing a piece of watermelon into smaller wedges when Tony hovers and dive bombs into my watermelon; I become possessive and protective because he's going to snatch the sweet middle pieces.
If you're a watermelon connoisseur, you too protect the middle of the watermelon also known as the sweet spot. However, you may not guard it as intensely as our family does.
So intensely that when Tony cut a slice of watermelon, put it on a plate, then left the room for a moment, I acted fast: cut the middle out, put it in a bowl, opened a lower cupboard to hide it, then stood in the corner to film his reaction.
The video didn't turn out, because when he entered, he noticed right away that his watermelon middle was missing and he instantly went into sad mode. When he realized I was filming, he ligjtened up and put on a pseudo pleasant disappointed demeanor.
While guarding my watermelon and resenting his intrusion, it occurred to me that I could be a better person and offer him a slice of the middle. What would it hurt? Certainly the diplomatic gesture might bring greater dividends than selfishness.
With that little incident at the back of my mind, on this hot day in July, while refilling my glass at the refrigerator ice dispenser, I'm irritated when the ice comes out in big unchewable cubes. You see, I prefer crushed ice, whereas Tony prefers cubed. I leave it on crushed to stake my preferences and claim my refrigerator territory, so I can expect crushed instead of cubed.
Yet, I wonder if Tony is ever irritated when the ice shoots out crushed instead of his preferred cubed. I have a simple epiphany: after filling my glass with crushed ice, I return the push button option to cubed, a simple act of thinking of Tony more than myself.
In creating positive human relationships, starting small is better than not at all.
~~I make this a secret birthday present to Tony, to always return the ice dispenser option to cubed. It's been almost 10 days, and Tony, I bet you never noticed. But isn’t that what I wanted...
If you're a watermelon connoisseur, you too protect the middle of the watermelon also known as the sweet spot. However, you may not guard it as intensely as our family does.
So intensely that when Tony cut a slice of watermelon, put it on a plate, then left the room for a moment, I acted fast: cut the middle out, put it in a bowl, opened a lower cupboard to hide it, then stood in the corner to film his reaction.
The video didn't turn out, because when he entered, he noticed right away that his watermelon middle was missing and he instantly went into sad mode. When he realized I was filming, he ligjtened up and put on a pseudo pleasant disappointed demeanor.
While guarding my watermelon and resenting his intrusion, it occurred to me that I could be a better person and offer him a slice of the middle. What would it hurt? Certainly the diplomatic gesture might bring greater dividends than selfishness.
With that little incident at the back of my mind, on this hot day in July, while refilling my glass at the refrigerator ice dispenser, I'm irritated when the ice comes out in big unchewable cubes. You see, I prefer crushed ice, whereas Tony prefers cubed. I leave it on crushed to stake my preferences and claim my refrigerator territory, so I can expect crushed instead of cubed.
Yet, I wonder if Tony is ever irritated when the ice shoots out crushed instead of his preferred cubed. I have a simple epiphany: after filling my glass with crushed ice, I return the push button option to cubed, a simple act of thinking of Tony more than myself.
In creating positive human relationships, starting small is better than not at all.
~~I make this a secret birthday present to Tony, to always return the ice dispenser option to cubed. It's been almost 10 days, and Tony, I bet you never noticed. But isn’t that what I wanted...
Comments