A-Ride-About

Many years ago, in a Hong Kong alleyway, Tony and I came upon a dog just like ours at home--a  Shar-pei. It wasn't a common dog, so we loved seeing the breed in its country of origin.

If we hadn't veered into a dark alley, we never would have seen the dog. Neither would we have had glimpses into restaurant kitchens nor close encounters with people just hanging out with their guard down. We would have missed the back-door culture of an exotic city.

A more complete discovery of a country is made while walking--weaving in and out of alleys, making unexpected turns that lead to ancient gardens with bridges that look like wood but are really sculpted from concrete. It's finding fields of flowers after taking a dirt road. Walking allows a spontaneous stop at a shop where the perfect crepe spinner is found. Walking dismisses the nuisance of finding a parking place or waiting for the next bus stop.

Experiences play out slowly--at the pace of walking.

We prefer walking instead of a taxi, a subway, or a bus. When rental bikes-on-the-sidewalk became common, our distances tripled.

To this day, the day is incomplete if it hasn't included a walk or a bike ride both at home and away.

While alone at the beach, I reached the point in one afternoon when work, study, exercise, and play was finished. Take a bike ride, my heart urged. Just because. Just to explore. Just to discover the unexpected.

With no destination in mind, the bike ride summoned a theme.  I stopped at each flowering tree to study and to photograph flowers. I coveted a tree bursting with lemons. From the afternoon on a bike, I discovered Kate Sessions, the horticulturist of San Diego who in 1892 brought 143 trees and bushes to the area. We can thank her for the Jacaranda tree and bougainvillea.




 Tree lined street with these beauties in bloom
 Sometimes there are surprises! I was right behind this truck when it changed lanes and buckets of green goo slid off and burst. It was highly interesting to watch the faces of the workers when they got out of the truck and saw the task before them.  I hope the green goo wasn't toxic.
 I pondered (only for  a second), knocking on the door and asking for a few lemons.
While biking, Tony and I discovered the taco trailer where everyone watches out for each other.  Potato tacos are the best.
 A reminder of the fast pace and passing of life
Kate Sessions' incredible find: the Jacaranda tree


Comments