The Uncertain Edge

Saturday morning we go for a late breakfast. We sit at our table, the waitress fills our water glasses, and as I adjust the space before me, I move my water glass to the edge of the table. With my hand still on the glass, I sense that the solid table that should be underneath, isn't. Had I not, the water glass would have crashed to the ground.

The paper tablecloth extended beyond the edge, making the table appear larger than it was. I folded and creased the paper so the edge would be clear.



Each year, Hawaiian hiking fatalities happen because lush foliage grows out from the side of the mountain. The plants make the cliff appear to have a wider ledge, and people step beyond the path and plummet to injury or death.

The uncertain table edge and a fallen water glass would have only been an embarrassment; the uncertain edge of a cliff can be disastrous.

The uncertain edge.

~~

My appointment with Ellie at the Home Depot bathroom design center is set for 11:00 a.m. She is full of great ideas and prints up the specs for a soaking tub and even recommends a reliable contractor. But Ellie has so much more on her mind and as she designs, prints, and recommends, she also dispenses marriage advice. Most poignant are the tips she gives from what she's learned in her current and happy marriage.

"He treats me well because he knows if he doesn't, I will leave."

A certain edge.




Comments