In my text message correspondences from yesterday, I wrote:
I can grotius.
And: I co side red.
Of course neither phrase makes sense, so I will interpret text-typo-language. Co side red was the auto correct of a fast typed I considered. And grotius? I can't even remember.
After one episode of text deciphering, a friend apologized for the voice translation of her thoughts and asked if I understood her message.
I responded, Yes, I speak typos.
All of us, yes, everyone who communicates via text and is not a retired English teacher who insists on edits and perfect grammar, is learning a new language.
I wish I'd kept a running list of all the funny text errors I've made and read, because I can only remember one absolutely outlandish typo correction. My husband texted his sister and trusting the mode of communication, his intended message was, I left my jacket in your car. Auto correct sent to his sister, I have to poop.
Yes, thank goodness the text was to his little sister whose memories of childhood were invoked.
Such an outlandish text correction makes me wonder if there isn't a secret Saturday Night Live, or National Lampoon, or Boy Scout of America dropouts who somehow have hijacked the iphone text message system. Or perhaps the code created to effectively communicate was laced with certain word triggers and just the right combination of words sends the funny bone of technology into hysteria with new messages.
Outlandish? Probably, but who would have thought that creators of Disney movies would include artistic, subliminal, and sometimes subversive messages in their movies for children? Perhaps it is the Disney team behind our new language.
I can grotius.
And: I co side red.
Of course neither phrase makes sense, so I will interpret text-typo-language. Co side red was the auto correct of a fast typed I considered. And grotius? I can't even remember.
After one episode of text deciphering, a friend apologized for the voice translation of her thoughts and asked if I understood her message.
I responded, Yes, I speak typos.
All of us, yes, everyone who communicates via text and is not a retired English teacher who insists on edits and perfect grammar, is learning a new language.
I wish I'd kept a running list of all the funny text errors I've made and read, because I can only remember one absolutely outlandish typo correction. My husband texted his sister and trusting the mode of communication, his intended message was, I left my jacket in your car. Auto correct sent to his sister, I have to poop.
Yes, thank goodness the text was to his little sister whose memories of childhood were invoked.
Such an outlandish text correction makes me wonder if there isn't a secret Saturday Night Live, or National Lampoon, or Boy Scout of America dropouts who somehow have hijacked the iphone text message system. Or perhaps the code created to effectively communicate was laced with certain word triggers and just the right combination of words sends the funny bone of technology into hysteria with new messages.
Outlandish? Probably, but who would have thought that creators of Disney movies would include artistic, subliminal, and sometimes subversive messages in their movies for children? Perhaps it is the Disney team behind our new language.
Comments