My phone weather app says it will be snowing in Boston today. I keep checking hoping it will change.
I can feel the Massachusetts Bay wind already. I'll be taking the silver line into the city at midnight, walking to my hotel.
Be tough, courage take, carry on.
Yes! A carry-on. Can I survive with just a carry-on backpack?
Two Januaries ago, I spent a month in Asia with just a small carryon roller bag and a back pack. I washed in hotel sinks, wore clothes more than thrice, but deeply regretted not taking a coat. I'd left from Hawaii and ignored memories cold planes and couldn't have anticipated a two day delay in bitter cold South Korea. I gave in and at the last airport finally purchased a coat; small bag, no coat--I I could do the impossible.
That experience changed my mindset for mid-December travel to Boston, so I searched for a sturdy, roomy, lightweight backpack. To make my travel efficient, I didn't want to be bogged down with a bag I couldn't strap on my back and go. I didn't want to be chased by a mugger while pulling a suitcase.
There's something stupendous about lightness. Freedom from stuff. Making do with so little. As a regular full-suitcase-traveler, it's an ultra challenge to think differently than packing-everything-I-might-need.
We've been working hard to scale down excess in our home too; we've been traveling heavy for too long. Tony first introduced the idea as a Christmas present. Knowing we didn't need things, he asked if cleaning out the storage room would be a good Christmas present. I was delighted and suggested I help him and allow it to be my Christmas present to him. He conceded though he was disappointed I'd piggy-backed on his gift.
A few dozen bags and boxes later, our storage room was a place to stand proud. The organization, the lightness felt so good, that our efforts extended to my office, to closets and bookshelves. Decluttering and the consequent organization is like a contagious flu. It doesn't stop with one room, one person.
We visited our daughter and helped her re-organize and de-clutter while helping her put her house together after closets and shelves had been emptied and furniture moved to the center of each room, so the painters could paint.
Christmas renovation was next. How could we give generously without purchasing tomorrow's clutter?
We are Christmas-programmed with visions of plenty: presents overflowing under the tree; children's delightful faces who awaken to a roomful of Santa toys.
How do we combat our well rehearsed expectations of Christmas abundance?
One of the gifts will be the gift of traveling light. Of not burdening family with things. We will give time, activities, and the much appreciated cash--if for no other reason, it takes very little space.
Comments