Two Boys

This is a rehearsal.

I've said the words in the shower, now I'm putting them on paper.

Two boys. Eighteen year olds. Molded into characters that will carry or drop them when they leave high school, when they wander into bigger, badder institutions, where they will find more competition, more reality.

Boy number one: intellectually gifted. Witty. Adonis. Self assured. A voice that commands attention when he speaks. Admired by his peers.

Boy number two: smart. Loves to think. Energetic. Kind. Collecting coats for the homeless. Popular with his peers too.

Two boys who could be on the prom king platform together.

Yesterday, I picked up conflict. Boy number one made a disdainful move on boy number two in what was a reasonable Socratic discussion. There was no reason to pelt the boy with a snowball. It was like watching him stamp the life out of a bug. He squished it and felt proud. The second boy cowered. There was no response that would match the intellectual giant's pounding.

When I saw it, I understood the string of other clues I'd missed. This wasn't the first showing of cowardice of contempt. It all came together. I wanted to protect boy number two but without destroying any of the bravado, the confidence, the incredibleness of boy number one.

Yet, is it possible to really possess all of the above stellar characteristics while raining disdain on someone else?

No. Boy number one in his hovering strength, showed his true self.

Security doesn't breathe fire on insecurity.

Security lifts.

How do I help boy number one? Contrary to my initial thoughts, he is the strong and mighty Achilles with a vulnerable heel. His disregard for another human being will bring him down. If not this week, maybe in the next 52.

This is the rehearsal:

Me to the young man: You know how much I like you and care about your success, right?

I have no doubt he will shake his head yes.

Then I have to give you this, Do not stomp out another person's fire when it may be the warmth you need. 

That's it.

I'm not sure yet that it's the right thing to do. The correct words to say.

It's a rehearsal.

Comments