It started with a text.
A text thread.
What's everyone bringing to Thanksgiving?
The dibs flew in fairly fast.
Apple galette and spicy caramelized squash with lemon and hazelnuts (me acting all high and mighty).
Rolls (8 dozen ordered from Shirleys)
Pimento dip appetizer, mac and cheese, and sweet potatoes (Jillian representing her Southern connection).
I'll do the potatoes (Because Holly loads them with bars of cream cheese when Tony isn't looking).
Pies (Paloma has become an expert).
But no one, not a soul, volunteered to do the turkey.
We heard Harmons Grocery was selling cooked turkeys this year. We would need two, and the cost was painful for a bird's presence on the table, and where would the gravy come from?
Tony's sister volunteered but she would have to travel with a turkey and she admitted she had to pluck the hairs from its cold gooshy skin.
Nope. Not this year.
At the heart of the turkey conundrum, I came home from a hike, walked up the back side of the hill, into our backyard, and startled two wild turkeys.
Dream it and they will come.
Knowing it was two weeks before Thanksgiving, it was fair to say they were a little skittish, or as President Reagan said, "Detente is what the farmer has with the turkey until Thanksgiving."
It was in the nick of time, but only after I offered to make spaghetti for the main course that Tony, always the mensch, and conspicuously quiet on the text thread, put his offer on the alter,
I'll make the turkey.
A text thread.
What's everyone bringing to Thanksgiving?
The dibs flew in fairly fast.
Apple galette and spicy caramelized squash with lemon and hazelnuts (me acting all high and mighty).
Rolls (8 dozen ordered from Shirleys)
Pimento dip appetizer, mac and cheese, and sweet potatoes (Jillian representing her Southern connection).
I'll do the potatoes (Because Holly loads them with bars of cream cheese when Tony isn't looking).
Pies (Paloma has become an expert).
But no one, not a soul, volunteered to do the turkey.
We heard Harmons Grocery was selling cooked turkeys this year. We would need two, and the cost was painful for a bird's presence on the table, and where would the gravy come from?
Tony's sister volunteered but she would have to travel with a turkey and she admitted she had to pluck the hairs from its cold gooshy skin.
Nope. Not this year.
At the heart of the turkey conundrum, I came home from a hike, walked up the back side of the hill, into our backyard, and startled two wild turkeys.
Dream it and they will come.
Knowing it was two weeks before Thanksgiving, it was fair to say they were a little skittish, or as President Reagan said, "Detente is what the farmer has with the turkey until Thanksgiving."
It was in the nick of time, but only after I offered to make spaghetti for the main course that Tony, always the mensch, and conspicuously quiet on the text thread, put his offer on the alter,
I'll make the turkey.
The turkey acting all skittish-like as if I were a threat.
*Yep. It's a good thing I had my camera or no one would have believed I almost caught a turkey for our Thanksgiving dinner.
*Ancient proverb say: He who volunteers last, gets the turkey.
*Ancient proverb say: He who volunteers last, gets the turkey.
Comments