When Funny Isn't

A covert operation is in progress.

A clever young junior, identity secret, has created an instagram account of memes that poke fun at teachers, students, and school culture.

I stumbled on it by accident and the twelve or thirteen meems already posted made me laugh.

One day, in a want-to-laugh mood, I clicked on the account.

Private. The owner of the account had made it a private account and I now needed to request to follow.

The creator who'd generously shared with all had pulled up the castle gate and filled the moat.

I decided to ask around. Inquire as to who the clever person was. Ask if I could be included.

Turns out the creator was top secret. The student who knew who it was, wouldn't divulge her secret. So I asked her to ask Mr. Anonymous if it was just for students or if teachers were allowed to voyeur the fun.

My wish was granted.

Excited to see what I'd missed, with a smile on my face, I clicked on instagram.

The latest post was a meem turned sour--a criticism and an unforgiving poke at a teacher whose Bart Simpson persona read "Everyone is stupid but me."

Fortunately students disagreed. One student requested, Lets only post nice memes okay? 😉

Nice had turned naughty and it was no longer funny.


~~Comedian Joan Rivers was a funny gal. One time she poked fun at a deceased singer, and her audience grunted in disapproval. Rivers retorted "You didn't buy her records." Maybe the audience hadn't, but it wasn't a good enough reason to demean anyone.

Funny at the expense of a person's reputation or feelings just can't be so.


Comments