Graduation

At the beginning of the year and at intervals in between, I would remind the high school seniors, that the year was going to pass too quickly.

Seniors begin the year with an ill-serving attitude, Last year of 12 years of mandatory schooling! I can't wait to be on my own! 

Midway through the year, most often after Christmas break, the word senioritis becomes part of their lexicon.

It's a dangerous word and mindset as it shuts them down, excuses them from engaging in precious moments. I retort firmly, again, "You're going to blink your eyes, and you'll be graduating. Hang on and enjoy the ride."

And then it's May 30th. Graduation photo, senior breakfast, awards ceremony and they walk around with dazed eyes and longing for what is about to only become a memory.

May 29th as we spend our last day together, taking a final, they remind me, "Remember when you said it was going to pass quickly?"

I nod my head and smile.

I have 58 years of agreement as to how quickly it passed in the blink of my eye.

Now they see life as it really is, as it passes. Welcome to adulthood.

Comments