A Pint

On the eve of my last day ever of being 58 years old, I volunteer to chaperone the school prom! While preparing to serve that evening, I wonder why I did such a thing. Shouldn't I be home reflecting on the enormity of so many years on earth? Shouldn't I be writing a thank you list of my life? Shouldn't I be resetting goals for the golden years?

On top of what I should have been doing, prom ends at 11:00 p.m. which means I will clock into bed after midnight. Much too late for a person on the cusp of another decade who certainly needs to take extra care of herself.

But there's a different way of caring for oneself that can only be found in the service of others--it's the one surefire way of prolonging youth, vitality, and joy. The opposite, the sure anchor to the bottom of the ocean where breathing isn't possible, is to become absorbed in the self.

There's a few nice surprises along the way. After checking in with the adult leader, she takes me to the back of the greenhouse venue to ask a question of the woman in charge. A curtain parts and reveals!!!!________my dear friend Annie. She emerges like the Wizard of Oz. I scream her name in delight. Tonight, while teenagers dance their night away, we will have time to talk!

And we do! We catch up on children, life's events, our future goals; we send a selfie to a mutual friend who was part of our threesome that used to meet monthly. She writes back and we learn that she too has volunteered to chaperone the high school prom 35 miles away. What a strange coincidence--all three of us attending prom on the same night.

The next morning I send Annie an article we'd discussed. She responds with an insight not entirely intended. I loved seeing you last night. I loved talking to you and hearing your words of wisdom and pint of view.

Her typo makes me laugh. The perfect antidote to the lethargy I'm feeling on my first morning of age 59.

My PINT of view, which I quickly translate into the only wisdom or advice one should ever share: a pint. A manageable measurement that can be drunk, absorbed, and minded if so desired. 

For our wisdom is generally regarded most highly by ourselves and less so by those to whom we are dispensing. It may come as a fire hose of force rather than a soft trickle of a meandering creek.

The want of a pint of wisdom is greater than a barrel of unwanted opinion or advice. 

~~
Thank you friend for the unintended gift.

Comments