A week and a day before my daughter’s scheduled c-section, it is our refugee daughter's due date. I wait for Alice’s news, but assume she is overwhelmed with birth and a newborn baby, because a week passes before I do hear from her. It is the same day my daughter's child is born that I finally see a text from Alice. It comes while I am at a stoplight, on my way to the hospital to see my daughter and her newborn for the first time.
Hay Mom, I'm in the hospital now for my delivery preyers for me.
Five hours later, I receive an update: Hay mom I appreciate for al ur preyers I just gave birth now.
Alice had a little girl. When I asked her a month ago what she was going to name her, she informed me that "Black people don't name their children before they're born." I wondered how much this tradition was born from the fear of loss.
Two babies born on the same day.
Alice is 18, not married to the father, living with a relative in a small apartment. English is her second language. I think Alice finished high school; her chances at college are now less likely. At some point soon, she will have to get a job.
Our daughter gave birth with all the traditional support: a husband, a college education, a good job, good insurance, a mother who could fly to her side to care for her little ones at home.
Two babies born on the same day. Both loved, both precious, but I can't ignore the advantages one baby has over the other. I feel responsible for both.
Hay Mom, I'm in the hospital now for my delivery preyers for me.
Five hours later, I receive an update: Hay mom I appreciate for al ur preyers I just gave birth now.
Alice had a little girl. When I asked her a month ago what she was going to name her, she informed me that "Black people don't name their children before they're born." I wondered how much this tradition was born from the fear of loss.
Two babies born on the same day.
Alice is 18, not married to the father, living with a relative in a small apartment. English is her second language. I think Alice finished high school; her chances at college are now less likely. At some point soon, she will have to get a job.
Our daughter gave birth with all the traditional support: a husband, a college education, a good job, good insurance, a mother who could fly to her side to care for her little ones at home.
Two babies born on the same day. Both loved, both precious, but I can't ignore the advantages one baby has over the other. I feel responsible for both.
Comments