I warn students about the upcoming deadline for the senior capstone. Capstone is a culminating paper along with a public virtue--meaning, students must do some good in the world. When they finish the paper and project, students will meet with a panel of board members, teachers, and administrators.
"Can we have Señora Russell on our panel?" a student asks.
I make a mental run down of Señora Russell, a retired teacher who now lives an hour and a half away.
Another student seconds the first student's request. "She's one of my favorite teachers."
They know she's retired, but they still want to report to her specifically. I promise to do my best, to request Señora's presence on the panel.
The next class, I ask students if they could choose a teacher for the panel, who would it be? Again, Señora Russell.
At this point, I'm very excited, because I have been gifted with good and complimentary news that will brighten Señora's day.
What could be better than that?
A simple email to Señora Russell returned the gift to me: her gratitude.
Don't hold back, don't hide your compliments, your love. Any good word, pass it on. You never know how desperately the kindness may be needed.
"Can we have Señora Russell on our panel?" a student asks.
I make a mental run down of Señora Russell, a retired teacher who now lives an hour and a half away.
Another student seconds the first student's request. "She's one of my favorite teachers."
They know she's retired, but they still want to report to her specifically. I promise to do my best, to request Señora's presence on the panel.
The next class, I ask students if they could choose a teacher for the panel, who would it be? Again, Señora Russell.
At this point, I'm very excited, because I have been gifted with good and complimentary news that will brighten Señora's day.
What could be better than that?
A simple email to Señora Russell returned the gift to me: her gratitude.
Don't hold back, don't hide your compliments, your love. Any good word, pass it on. You never know how desperately the kindness may be needed.
Comments