After a brisk walk through some beautiful Illinois neighborhoods, Tony wants to cut it short because his feet are cold. My feet are toasty warm. In the comparison, I convince Tony he needs a pair of warm boots. We find them and because of their niceness, I worry he will only use them for the coldest, snowiest days. I fear he will treat them like fine china—wear them only on special occasions, or save them for the below thirty degree days.
Yet, I too am guilty of fine china mentality-- I let a beautiful handcrafted gift from my son in law sit in a cupboard for almost a year because I wanted to keep it nice.
The only reason to save for a special occasion? If you want it to be an heirloom, and if it is truly, truly x 10 a special occasion and the occasion is on the calendar.
So bust out the Christmas presents. Use them. Savor them. Eat the good chocolate, wear the fabulous sweater. Run in the new sneakers before every millimeter of tread is gone from the old ones.
After all, isn't every day a special occasion?
Yet, I too am guilty of fine china mentality-- I let a beautiful handcrafted gift from my son in law sit in a cupboard for almost a year because I wanted to keep it nice.
The only reason to save for a special occasion? If you want it to be an heirloom, and if it is truly, truly x 10 a special occasion and the occasion is on the calendar.
So bust out the Christmas presents. Use them. Savor them. Eat the good chocolate, wear the fabulous sweater. Run in the new sneakers before every millimeter of tread is gone from the old ones.
After all, isn't every day a special occasion?
Comments