Fallen Soldier



We are a half hour from landing in 27 degree weather. It will be jarring after 70 degree days and an all night flight trying to find sleep and comfort in an airplane seat. Few people have slept and self comfort and preservation are at the forefront of mostly every passenger. Until the pilot interrupts:

"This is your captain speaking. We will be landing shortly and I want to ask all of you for a favor."

I can't ever remember hearing the pilot ask for a favor.

"We have a fallen soldier on board, and we're bringing him home."

The weight of his words silence the aircraft. A family has lost a son, a husband, a father. We don't know who he is, where he died, or under what circumstances. His life was taken in service of our country. When will this end? Does humanity have the capability of eliminating war?

The pilot continues, "We have a military escort accompanying our fallen soldier. If you could please let him disembark first. I'll leave the fasten-seat-belt sign on to remind you to stay seated until he exits the aircraft."

The plane lands. Silence pervades. Everyone stays seated. After a few minutes, I turn to see a man walk purposefully down the aisle; he is dressed in full military uniform. He turns and exits.

Reverence prevails. We are sober, somber. Heavy, hearted, teary eyed.

We passengers move slowly. Still no one speaks. As we file out, people wait courteously, allowing others to go before them.

We are reminded how short life may be and to make it count--even on an airplane.


~~

The next day, I walk into class for the final. The room is tense; one student hasn't shown up yet and and one student is tearful. The demands of this final are unusual. Students had to choose a world problem, find a solution and create a five minute musical complete with singing and dancing. For some students this is highly stressful--hence they are nervous.

I tell them I sense their unease. I share the story of the fallen soldier to remind them that life has really very few purposes--to always do their best and to love one another.

With life's perspective put back into balance, and knowing the show must go on-- it does-- with a lot of laughter and with care for each other. 

Comments