Faith Is Trust

On Christmas eve morning, I was determined to find a miniature fire engine for Theodore, so when the first store's plethora of Matchbox cars didn't include a fire engine, I started to worry.  I didn't know how many stores it would take, but I wouldn't stop until I had a little red fire engine. I started imagining how far I would have to go--even to the point of driving to a fire station and offering to buy one of theirs, because surely a fire station would have a collection of miniature engines, right?

We go to great lengths to make Christmas just right, to fulfill the whims and desires of a child.

Fortunately, the second store had a fire engine truck. It was a little larger than the original, but unsure whether or not Theodore would mind, I sighed relief that I'd be home before 10:00 a.m.

Theodore minded. He was thrilled with the truck he did receive, but he made it clear that he wanted a small one. I promised him I would keep looking until it was found and gifted.

With trust in his countenance, he said, "Okay."

I recently heard a young man explain the difficult concept of faith. To him, the concept of faith was hard to pin down, but when he inserted trust for faith, the concept melted easily into meaning.

"Do you have faith in Jesus Christ?" becomes, "Do you trust Jesus Christ?"

Does Theodore have faith that I will eventually produce the perfect truck, or does he trust in his grandma that she will keep looking until it is found?

The latter, and a short internet search produced the right-sized red fire engine truck. It's on its way.

Comments