Assassination

Military historian Eric M. Bergerud writes of the developing communist power in the villages of South Vietnam in the years following the Geneva Conference in 1954. The Geneva conference goals were to bring peace to the small country of Vietnam. Unfortunately it didn't happen.

One of the great determinants of the eventual communist takeover, was the insurgents in the countryside who successfully fought the US supported leader Diem. Because of landowner conditions in South Vietnamese villages, the peasants were an unhappy lot. In 1961, the southern region peasants were mostly landless. Only 22% farmed their own land. In 1968, in another region, 79% of the peasants were landless. This created a ripe environment for the Viet Cong, who sowed discontent in often violent ways. Their strategy included an "extermination" policy which murdered influential South Vietnamese in absolute secrecy. "The traitors picked for death fell into several categories." The categories included government officials who were successful in tracking down members of the Viet Cong forces. Successful anti-communist teachers were next. But the most disturbing strategy of the Viet Cong was to "target officials who proved honest and effective: the corrupt and inefficient were left in peace." This left "the bad officials unharmed in order to wage propaganda and sow hatred against the government."

I too got sucked into the vortex of the congressional supreme court nominee hearing. Several details stuck to me like old gum on a sidewalk, but one more so than the others; I had to go back and find the direct quote.

"This grotesque and coordinated character assassination will dissuade competent and good people of all political persuasions from serving our country." Brett Kavanaugh

I thought back to presidential candidate Mitt Romney; he was a flawed man (as all men and women are), but he was a man with an honest and effective character and reputation.

This is not an opinion as to the Supreme Court debacle. As I listened to both testimonies, I felt both were telling the truth, fully aware  the truth was in conflict. I spent five minutes each, listening to the interpretations of the opposing news pundits. Each news commentator was absolutely certain of the innocence or condemnation of the other; but whether Kavanaugh is guilty or not, is not what I'm interested in, it is not what I must decide nor can I decide. If he were innocent, his above quote is a tragedy for him; if he is guilty, the character assassination is not applicable--it was character suicide of his own doing.

There isn't one of us that didn't wonder that if we ever vied for public office/service, what the press would dig up from our teenage years. For most of us the consequences would be innocuous, but nonetheless embarrassing and hardly could a senate position be worth the pain. We would be left with candidates with tainted reputations and past histories who have enough money to silence the voices or worse, who don't care about the public scrutiny.

Things don't look good for Kavanaugh. Regardless of innocence or guilt, he has lost the confidence of the American people, of both democrats and republicans. His nomination, regardless of innocence or guilt, will undermine an already divided party. The republic is made to withstand, to even strengthen from conflict. But Kavanaugh has a chance to make a real difference and it isn't found in his fight for a Supreme Court position; he has a chance to impact America's youth.

So forgive me for speaking for Judge Kavanaugh. As a teacher of high school seniors, who are on the cusp of entering the world, this is what I wish the judge would say and do. This is one way to find meaning in his suffering or in his mistakes.

In spite of today's testimony, I still stand by my original denial of the allegations against me. Given such a heinous accusation, given that the aggressive and inexcusable act is accompanied by an accusation of inebriation, the better answer I can give is that I don't remember. That I don't remember is shameful and a tragedy. If you fail to be a good example, then be a very good bad example. This is my focus today.

I never could have imagined that thirty years after high school that my reputation, my modus operandi, my actions, could have come back to destroy one of the greatest opportunities I would ever have: the confidence of the people of the United States of America. Regardless of my guilt or innocence, I have lost the confidence of the American people to serve in one of the greatest honors this land has to offer--the chance to determine the course of American history through the judicial process--found and entrusted to the Supreme Court. 

I withdraw my nomination because of this loss of confidence in the American people that is so needed in the appellate court of prominent decision making.

I do still hope to make an impact on America's youth. Character is forged in the actions of our youth. There is no place for alcohol or drug abuse in this arena. Glorified keg parties, objectification of women, losing oneself in a vain belief that good times equal alcohol is a way of life steeped in poverty of spirit and deceit.

 As an adult, I can look back and see my poor example--a poor example I can now use to help others. Value your actions and your impact on others at all stages of life. Know you have the power to hurt or to edify and lift. Sober living is honest living without excuses, without dire repercussions that affect you at all times. If you turn to alcohol for recreation or relief, seek help. Seek a better life. Be responsible for your life and the pain you are capable of inflicting on others when you are in the mire of alcohol abuse.

Comments