Within a span of three days, we learned that an insurance pre-approved family, absolutely necessary surgery, would no longer be covered; the refrigerator died and couldn't be fixed for a month because the computer within the fridge was made in Japan--in the city of Fukushima and the tsunami had destroyed the company and they'd yet to rebuild. Then the car acted troublesome, so we took it in and the remedy was a $7000 engine replacement. My niece's birth took a scary turn: the baby was in distress and he was delivered by emergency c-section.
It was a strange few days of surprises.
~~Only two weeks into school, and I have two students who can only see the bad in American history and the current and dismal state of the union.
"Yes, we study what went wrong, because it stands out, it's a chance to learn," I share in a huddle around the gloom and doomers' desks. I make a mental note to study sooooo many good things about America too.
"'But we've made so many mistakes," the tiny young woman with hunched shoulders answers.
I take a new approach. "Have you ever been to a foreign country?"
Yes, they've both been to Mexico. "Is that enough evidence of the good things that happen in America?"
They both shake their heads, "But is it right to only see the good by having to compare our country to weaker countries?"
I see her point.
~~
Life is Beautiful, the Italian Academy Award winning film, is somewhat perplexing and it begins with the title, for the story is a WWII concentration camp story with a typical ending. But the film is one of the most joyous movie experiences, and it may be because the film juxtaposes what life really is and what it can be if we choose to make it beautiful, albeit in the most extreme way. I believe the film makes a bold but true assertion~~Beauty and joy can be found in the most dire of circumstances.
And so:
The surgery snafu will have a lasting impact on the young couple. What better way to learn in their early marriage the importance of savings, good insurance, and financial sacrifice and preparation.
The car is just a car. It wasn't a car accident; everyone is safe. The repair can be made. The car's life has been extended.
The refrigerator computer can be rebuilt by a company in Illinois that found a market niche.
The beautiful baby was born into a world of love.
~~
In the midst of the trials, my daughter said to me, "Maybe we're just unlucky."
"Oh no," I responded. "You're incredibly lucky," and I enumerated all the reasons that knocked her exclamation off of its pity pedestal.
Life is Beautiful. Thank goodness it's part of our curriculum. In the classroom and out.
It was a strange few days of surprises.
~~Only two weeks into school, and I have two students who can only see the bad in American history and the current and dismal state of the union.
"Yes, we study what went wrong, because it stands out, it's a chance to learn," I share in a huddle around the gloom and doomers' desks. I make a mental note to study sooooo many good things about America too.
"'But we've made so many mistakes," the tiny young woman with hunched shoulders answers.
I take a new approach. "Have you ever been to a foreign country?"
Yes, they've both been to Mexico. "Is that enough evidence of the good things that happen in America?"
They both shake their heads, "But is it right to only see the good by having to compare our country to weaker countries?"
I see her point.
~~
Life is Beautiful, the Italian Academy Award winning film, is somewhat perplexing and it begins with the title, for the story is a WWII concentration camp story with a typical ending. But the film is one of the most joyous movie experiences, and it may be because the film juxtaposes what life really is and what it can be if we choose to make it beautiful, albeit in the most extreme way. I believe the film makes a bold but true assertion~~Beauty and joy can be found in the most dire of circumstances.
And so:
The surgery snafu will have a lasting impact on the young couple. What better way to learn in their early marriage the importance of savings, good insurance, and financial sacrifice and preparation.
The car is just a car. It wasn't a car accident; everyone is safe. The repair can be made. The car's life has been extended.
The refrigerator computer can be rebuilt by a company in Illinois that found a market niche.
The beautiful baby was born into a world of love.
~~
In the midst of the trials, my daughter said to me, "Maybe we're just unlucky."
"Oh no," I responded. "You're incredibly lucky," and I enumerated all the reasons that knocked her exclamation off of its pity pedestal.
Life is Beautiful. Thank goodness it's part of our curriculum. In the classroom and out.
Comments