Vehicles of Danger

Have you heard of drunk dialing?

A relative of mine used to regularly make use of this sad term. Imagine a lonely woman, late at night, too much to drink. Wanting something, lacking something, she picks up the phone and dials for a sympathetic ear. The ensuing conversation with the person she calls often is the recipient of confessions, confusions, and tears. Part way through the conversation, the recipient of the late night, needy phone call, wonders if the dialer is drunk. Low on patience now, the recipient tries to end the call knowing the dialer may not even remember what she said the next morning. Once compassionate, the recipient makes an excuse and hangs up.

Sad. When I heard about Roseanne's late night or early morning tweets, I thought of two things. First, I texted my friend who used to be an assistant producer of the original Roseanne show, years ago. My friend currently works for a difficult producer and doesn't think she'll have the job much longer. So I texted her, "Things could be worse. You could still be working for Roseanne."

She immediately replied with sympathy for the people who worked for the show, "I feel for all those people who are now without a job and probably can't get another. Shows are already staffed up."

The second response to the Roseanne tweets was to assume she was probably drunk-tweeting. Because no one in their right mind could write such cruel things sober. Right?

If an inebriated person drives, we take away his car; if an inebriated person tweets, take away his account. Both vehicles are dangerous.

Comments