Two and a half year old Theo, with limited understanding, was told that his great grandfather had died. The beautifully unique situation is that Theo strongly resembled his great grandpa. He didn't look like any of his siblings, but had an uncanny resemblance to Great Grandpa Dick.
The family gathered on Friday night for the viewing. Little Theo wasn't shielded from the body, from death, but instead was fully included in the natural circle of life.
The next morning as the family pulled into the parking lot to attend the funeral, Theo noticed an elderly gentleman walking towards the chapel. While still in his carseat, Theo pointed and called out, "He's not dead."
His family laughed, and later when I was told what Theo had said, I laughed too. We then postulated the older gentleman must have looked like his great grandpa and Theo logically and simply informed his family that Grandpa wasn't dead.
The context for Theo's comment is somewhat clear, but Theo didn't realize how right he actually was.
December seems to be the month when my family members, distant and close, or when acquaintances or friends' relatives, die. That the holidays are a time to gather, seems to have repercussions beyond this earth. Is it a time when those who are ill, or finished with their sojourn on earth are called home? Is there a symbolic connection of our love and longing for the Savior at his birth celebration that includes a longing for and a return to our Heavenly home?
For many, Christmas has become less about the Savior's birth and more about the spirit of giving and thinking of others. I think the Savior would feel some comfort that selflessness, kindness, and peace would prevail during this religious feast. Yet, as secular as it may become, it is impossible to completely take the Christ out of Christmas. Creches may be banned, I may hesitate in signing off with "Merry Christmas," in case my professor is Jewish or a non-believer, but the very name CHRISTmas cannot be changed. The only change is in how we read and live up to the word or to the name of commandments and of great blessings. Do we see Christ in the root of the word, in the root of the holiday? Is it the root of our lives and our guide to living?
The other absolute, the unchangeable conquest of life over death, we find in a two-year-old's beautifully, simple exclamation, "He's not dead!"
Christ lives. We will live.
This is why, when I read the intercessory prayer this morning, I wept. Because of the truth, the light of Christ testifies of this truth: And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou has sent. ~I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do. John 17: 1-4.
The family gathered on Friday night for the viewing. Little Theo wasn't shielded from the body, from death, but instead was fully included in the natural circle of life.
The next morning as the family pulled into the parking lot to attend the funeral, Theo noticed an elderly gentleman walking towards the chapel. While still in his carseat, Theo pointed and called out, "He's not dead."
His family laughed, and later when I was told what Theo had said, I laughed too. We then postulated the older gentleman must have looked like his great grandpa and Theo logically and simply informed his family that Grandpa wasn't dead.
The context for Theo's comment is somewhat clear, but Theo didn't realize how right he actually was.
December seems to be the month when my family members, distant and close, or when acquaintances or friends' relatives, die. That the holidays are a time to gather, seems to have repercussions beyond this earth. Is it a time when those who are ill, or finished with their sojourn on earth are called home? Is there a symbolic connection of our love and longing for the Savior at his birth celebration that includes a longing for and a return to our Heavenly home?
For many, Christmas has become less about the Savior's birth and more about the spirit of giving and thinking of others. I think the Savior would feel some comfort that selflessness, kindness, and peace would prevail during this religious feast. Yet, as secular as it may become, it is impossible to completely take the Christ out of Christmas. Creches may be banned, I may hesitate in signing off with "Merry Christmas," in case my professor is Jewish or a non-believer, but the very name CHRISTmas cannot be changed. The only change is in how we read and live up to the word or to the name of commandments and of great blessings. Do we see Christ in the root of the word, in the root of the holiday? Is it the root of our lives and our guide to living?
The other absolute, the unchangeable conquest of life over death, we find in a two-year-old's beautifully, simple exclamation, "He's not dead!"
Christ lives. We will live.
This is why, when I read the intercessory prayer this morning, I wept. Because of the truth, the light of Christ testifies of this truth: And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou has sent. ~I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do. John 17: 1-4.
Comments