I am sitting in a chair facing my computer. I always sit at my computer; it is really the most mundane and predictable event of my life. When I look for Tony, I always look in his office and he looks for me in mine.
Mundane. The word matches its sound. Mun--dane. Its color is a muted brown, it is unattractive like mud, a baby's diaper, like water running down a dirty gutter. I find it amusing that mundane rhymes with insane: mundane=insane.
I don't want to be mundane.
On the back wall of my classroom, my teaching partner and I installed a photo timeline of The American Century. My eyes scan the wall looking for a photo that encompasses the meaning of mundane. Nothing fits my search until I come upon a 1911 photo of four young "breaker" boys who worked for a Pennsylvania coal company. Their job was to pick the slate out of coal from 7:00 a.m. until 5:30 p.m and over two million children under the age of 15 did this work.
That would have been excruciatingly mundane/insane for a child.
And so I see that mundane is unavoidable. It is as much a part of our lives as a slice is part of a pie, as a star is part of the sky. Mundane in degrees is acceptable, mundane as a way of life is not.
I succumb.
Mundane. The word matches its sound. Mun--dane. Its color is a muted brown, it is unattractive like mud, a baby's diaper, like water running down a dirty gutter. I find it amusing that mundane rhymes with insane: mundane=insane.
I don't want to be mundane.
On the back wall of my classroom, my teaching partner and I installed a photo timeline of The American Century. My eyes scan the wall looking for a photo that encompasses the meaning of mundane. Nothing fits my search until I come upon a 1911 photo of four young "breaker" boys who worked for a Pennsylvania coal company. Their job was to pick the slate out of coal from 7:00 a.m. until 5:30 p.m and over two million children under the age of 15 did this work.
That would have been excruciatingly mundane/insane for a child.
And so I see that mundane is unavoidable. It is as much a part of our lives as a slice is part of a pie, as a star is part of the sky. Mundane in degrees is acceptable, mundane as a way of life is not.
I succumb.
