Sharing Makes Us Happy

Yesterday afternoon, a neighbor pulled up in his van and asked, "Do you have any more of that basil?"

Of course I do, for basil is a prolific grower. I offer to dig it up, pot it and bring it to him. Service!

Over the years, my raspberry patch has also been prolific, and every spring and fall the extra plants go to friends, family, and even the pool man.

When a woman offers free strawberry plants on the gardening facebook page, and the only requirement is to come and dig them up, I'm excited to be on the receiving end. But can I carry a shovel into a stranger's backyard and dig up her strawberries?

I message Megan; she is welcoming, kind and generous to this reticent recipient. The strawberry patch is plenty big and there's enough for everyone. I'll even be helping her as she needs to clear out the space to extend her patio.

I do feel a little awkward, but hours later, I return home, plant and fill two garden boxes, and a little patch on the hillside, with strawberries. I've saved at least a hundred dollars. I'm grateful to one woman, who went out of her way to help others.

There is always someone with a need, a want, and more often than not, without the means to satisfy either.

Tony used to hang on to things he didn't really need. When it clicked that it may be of use to another person, he easily let go. When he wavers, he remembers the too big shirt may perfectly fit another person.

When my children were young and the concept of sharing was new, I repeated often, so often, that the phrase has become a kind of silly reminder of the past, yet a reminder we still need: Sharing makes us happy.


The trunk loaded with shared strawberries.