Triumph Over Self

I meet a woman who tells me a treasured story. In her younger years, she moved her mother, who was afflicted with cancer,  into her home. Margot tirelessly took care of her and saw her through the last days of her life.

At the time, her son was sixteen years old. He saw his mother's example of care, sacrifice and devotion to her own mother.

In his youthful honesty, he made it clear to his mother that he would never be able to care for her in the same way she had cared for her mother.

Margot understood.

Twenty years later, now a 36 year old man, the son called his mother. " Mom, remember what I told you after Grandma died? " Yes, she did. "I want you to know that I'm now capable of doing what you did for your mom."

Pause. Tears.

The good news is that my friend is healthy, strong and RVing with her husband around the country  with plans for the next ten years.

But...the day may come when she needs her son's care and compassion. Because of her example, her son knew what he lacked and over time, he knew how he wanted to change.

In fiction, if it is good, the main character will change. Change and its accompanying shifts of conflict, adversity, triumph, are what make a good story.

Each of us is in the mode of continually writing our own story. In chapter three we may fear and loathe what seems to be the impossible. By chapter six we may have grown enough to do the impossible.

I remember the day my father needed and wanted a shower, but he knew he was incapable of making it happen. He had humbled himself enough, or been humbled, that he could ask his daughter for help. I wasn't ready. Nothing could have prepared me for the day when I would look upon and hold my father's frail, frail body.  I stood behind him and cried.

I had changed. It was chapter 11. I now fear the day (chapter 14?) when I won't be free enough to help my mom. I want to tell her "Mom, remember how hard it was for me dealing with Dad's degeneration?" She will know all too well. I will continue, "I want you to know I'm now capable to do for you what was so hard to do for Dad."

Change--it always makes a better story.